Saturday, November 19, 2011

Planning...

I'm so excited to be a part of this fun group! I wanted to start with a quick intro. My name is Katie and I blog at Kadiddlehopper. I've been sewing since I was a child, but took a long break and have only started back up again a few years ago. I sew almost exclusively garments, for myself, my children and occasionally my hubby. This won't be my first pair of jeans, but the last several pairs I sewed were before I learned much about pant fitting, so hopefully these will actually fit well!!

I'm starting out with a lightweight denim with a significant stretch. I think I bought it at fabric.com. It is much lighter weight and has much more stretch than most jeans denims I've worked with, but I've seen and tried on RTW jeans that felt similar, particularly in trouser and "skinny jean" styles.
The Vogue pattern is currently my front runner, although I generally gravitate toward more wide leg styles. I really like the wide leg Burda pattern and I think this lightweight denim would drape nicely in a fuller style. Both of these patterns have a pretty low rise though, and after 3 babies, I'm pretty much past my low rise years, you know?!  I am thinking I'll use the rise on the Ottobre jeans pattern, which is higher (but not "mom jeans"), with the legs from either the Burda or the Vogue.

So what do you think? Skinnies or wide leg?

2 comments:

  1. I like wide-legged jeans, even though the fashion police strongly advise against it since I'm short! I think I have too much hip for skinny jeans to look right. My personal preference is are boot-cut jeans/pants. I *love* this style and the way it looks on m.e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I'll be watching this! I love being able to make my own jeans (although not being able to find sufficiently sturdy stretch denim has been an ongoing issue)

    I wish I had the time/fabric/need to join in, but I'm pretty swamped with other stuff right now (though I have been sewing up lots of kids jeans...)

    I like narrow-legged styles for myself (having no hips to offset with wide legs)... I think you'll totally rock the Vogue pants with some tall boots, if that's your thing. And then you don't have to worry about your pants getting soaked in the snow in the winter.

    ReplyDelete